Friday, June 5, 2009

Some Thoughts On MGS Rising



The prayers of 360 owning Metal Gear fans have been answered...sort of. No they will not get the much rumored (and highly hoped for) MGS4 port but instead what can be considered the next been thing: a brand new adventure.



Metal Gear Solid Rising will see release on 360 as well as PS3 and PC. This is a rarity for the series, marking the first time a game has been released simultaneously on 3 platforms.  As a fan I find enjoyment in this announcement, as it means more gamers will get the chance to experience MGS awesomeness

With the character of Solid Snake given a loving send off in MGS4, a new franchise lead is necessary.  MGS4 left some options in the form of Raiden, Johnny, and Meryl.  And of course there is always the option to create a new character; but given the high the series is riding after MGS4 a completely new face would be extremely risky .  Much less risky is handing the franchise back over to Raiden, the controversial figure that fans first meet in MGS2.

Kept secret during production, it was not until fans began playing MGS2 that they learned that Raiden was the principle playable character.  Almost immediately the backlash hit, many fans voiced vehement hatred for the character.  The reasons cited included his feminine look, his habit of complaining, and his cheesy relationship with Rose.  But really the chief reason boiled down to one unavoidable fact: Raiden is not Solid Snake.

For Raiden's inclusion in MGS4, Kojima and his team went back to drawing board.  They reworked him, transforming from a whining pretty boy to a bad ass blade wielding cyber ninja.  The new look helped win over some fans, but many remain skeptical.  The true test is fast approaching.  With the decision to elect Raiden as the lead character, Kojima Productions has made it clear they support Raiden.  Will the fan base at large finally embrace him?  Time will tell.  And that uncertainty adds another exiciting level of anticpation for Rising.

3 comments:

  1. I thought Raiden was awesome in MGS4, but I liked MGS2 also and appreciated the huge surprise not just of playing as him but moreso when Snake popped up.

    I hope Rising is different in terms of gameplay though. I don't think any game could have ended better than MGS4, so it wouldn't be right to have the same or similar gameplay just with a different character.

    Congrats to Xbox fans who've never played a Metal Gear game too. Wouldn't it be amazing if the online modes let PS3 VS 360 be a possible option?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raiden's immaturity was actually a meaningful part of the story of MGS2. He basically grew up in the course of the game. Then cut to MGS4, where he's pretty well established. I look forward to Rising. I expect it to flesh out the transition process which he started undergoing at the end of MGS2, when he decided to live in a way he considered meaningful. It will be interesting to see how the narrative will be delivered along with the inevitable gameplay changes, particularly in terms of pacing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's like Mario making an appearance on Sega in the hay days of Nintendo and Sega. My question is, would any X-Box fan want to see Halo on Any version of the PlayStation? I am not a hater, but sometimes, it seems like the people behind the scenes have no integrety (how ever it's spelled) anymore? I'm just saying, it doesn't make much since to me. I understand that at first, Metal Gear and Snakes Revenge were on the NES, but it just doesn't seem right. But that's my opinion. Side note, I understand that PlayStation 3 is laking a lot in sales.

    ReplyDelete