Friday, February 12, 2010

Batman: Under The Red Hood Marks Animated Debut of Jason Todd



DC and Warner Brothers have announced Batman: Under The Red Hood as their next direct-to-video animated feature.  The film is set to explore the death and unlikely resurrection of Jason Todd.  And it is Todd's presence that makes this feature especially noteworthy.  Why?  Because Todd has never before appeared in an animated project.



For the unaware, Todd was the second character in the comics to take up the mantle of Robin.  His tendency to back talk Batman earned him scorn from comic readers.  In a now infamous stunt, DC had Todd beaten near to death and let readers vote on his fate.  They chose to kill him.  Years later he was resurrected.  I'm not going to summarize that, mainly because I'm unfamiliar with the details of the arc.

What I do know is that the DCAU continuity did folded aspects of Todd into their version of Tim Drake.  Mostly notably the origin story.  The result was a hybrid that had much more in common with the comic version of Drake.

As a hardcore Bat-fanatic I believe that any Batman animated project is a wonderful thing.  That said, Batman: Under The Red Hood has an extra specialness to it.  It's covering ground never before tackled in Batman animation.  And that makes me ever more eager for its release.

2 comments:

  1. You absolutely should read Under the Hood. It's amazing. It'll make you even more pumped for the release of this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the world premiere at comic con. This is an awesome movie.

    ReplyDelete