Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cam Clarke's Absence from MGS4


Many people have asked me “John, why did you buy a PS3”. Without hesitation I can provide the definitive answer by responding, “To play Metal Gear Solid 4”. It’s impossible for me accurately put into words just how excited I am for MGS4.

I’ve heard many confirmed facts and rumors regarding the game, but I don’t concern myself too much with them. I know I will love the game regardless of what happens with it. There is just no way I can be disappointed by the game. Well, on second thought, there is one small thing that disappointments me regarding MGS4.



That one disappointing thing is the revelation that Cam Clarke will not be involved with MGS4. For those who are unaware, Cam is actor who voiced Liquid Snake in Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2. Chances are you’ve heard his work even if you don’t realize it. His impressive voice-acting career has spanned dozens upon dozens of memorable shows, films, and video games.

The decision not to use Cam stemmed from the choice to give Liquid Ocelot a single voice. The American game producers opted to use Patric Zimmerman, the man who previously voiced Revolver Ocelot in Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2.

Now I understand the decision to use one voice and I’m sure that Zimmerman is going to do a stellar job. However that does not change the fact I’m disappointed Cam won’t be involved. To me, he is just such a big part of my Metal Gear Solid experience.

I know that MGS4 is being slated as being the final game in the series. Though seeing the huge following the Metal Gear games have, I think it’s safe to assume that future games, in some form, are unavoidable. I can only hope that if future games are made, Cam Clarke gets the chance to reprise the role of Liquid Snake. One of the many roles I feel he was truly born to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment