Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Comic Book Review: The New Avengers #44



I don't usually review issues of The New Avengers but after reading the most recent issue I figured it's about time I said a few things.



I started reading this series when they discovered that Elektra was really a Skrull and liked it so much that I became a subsciber.  The rather strange assortment of heroes are fun to watch together, especially when they don't get along, like the relationship between Luke Cage and Spider-Man.  I've also gone back and read the first few graphics novels and also found those to be quite enjoyable.

The past few issues, however, have gotten me pretty pissed off.  All of the Secret Invasion crossover issues thus far have been flashbacks and stories that don't even really pertain to the New Avengers.  Since all of the memebers of the team are involved in the main Secret Invasion line of books, the series has become a bunch of random, supplements to the main storyline.  One issue was about Ka-Zar and the voluptuous Shanna doing whatever it is they do in the Savage Land.  The most recent issue, issue #44, is about the Skrulls attempts to trick clones of the Illuminati into showing them a way to disguise themselves as humans.

If I was buying this series at the comic shop this wouldn't be a big deal because I could just stop buying issues until Secret Invasion is over, but as a subscriber I'm forced to wade through this crap.  I subscribed to this series to see Cage, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Wolverine, Doctor Strange, and all the other members get into crazy hyjinks, but instead I'm being treated to a bunch of one shot side stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment