Ever since I first played my Sega Genesis all those years ago Sonic The Hedgehog has remained a big part of my life. Even today, with most of his recent video game installments falling way short in the satisfaction department, I continue to stand by my blue hedgehog hero.
Truth be told, I do have great expectations for the next Sonic game, Sonic Unleashed. But then again I had great expectations for the 2006 Sonic The Hedgehog and that let me down big time. But rather then utilize this post to speculate on the quality of Sonic Unleashed I instead wish to throw out an idea to Sega.
I propose that Sega develop a new fully 2D Sonic The Hedgehog game, a game that jumps right back into the nostalgic roots of the series.
Taking Sonic back to his 2D roots would help Sonic Team exclude all those overcomplicated plot points that have plagued the recent 3D games. Focus could be put back on the things that make the Sonic franchise work: Sonic running through beautifully designed levels, destroying baddies, collecting rings, and beating Dr. Eggman. No ridiculous time travel, no bimbo princesses, no constant addition of random anthropomorphic characters.
Like so many other things in this world, Sonic works best when he is done simple, true to the formula that made him a video game icon.
Now in calling for Sega to produce a 2D Sonic game I’m not trying to say that they should end all production on 3D titles. Realistically I know that a 2D Sonic game just won’t sell as much as a 3D Sonic game. But considering how relatively inexpensive it would be to make a new 2D Sonic adventure it’s not unreasonable to imagine that Sega could develop the game as a side project.
It would be a quick and cheap project that would do wonders for the franchise by restoring some honor to a very much fallen hero. It would remind the long time and largely jaded Sonic fans why they fell in love with Sonic in the first place.
Amen. This is something I've dreamed about for a long time as a Sonic fan. The Advance 2D games just don't cut it. Wouldn't it be great to see some sparkling new levels with even greater depth and speed possible on the Wii or X-Box? And a classic-style techno soundtrack would be a welcome return to the series after the recent rock leanings. We need some of that Sonic magic back!
ReplyDeleteI admire your passion about this topic, thought I feel you are putting words in my mouth. No where in my post do I state that no more 3D Sonic games should be made. I myself still think the two Sonic Adventure games hold up extremely well and I still pop them in every now and then (mostly to check up on my Chao).
ReplyDeleteIn the second to last paragraph of this post I clearly state a 2D game would be a nice side project, released alongside future 3D games. It would be similar to the recently released Mega Man 9.
The beauty of developing a 2D game now a days is that the turn around would be short. Sega could set a modest budget and get a small team to work on it. They wouldn't even have to release it on disc, they could sell it through console stores such as X-Box Marketplace. Sega could even take it a step further by adding levels on a regular basis. That would be a great way to tie fans over between new 3D Sonic releases.
I think we agree completely on one key point, that being that the Sonic series needs to strip away needless gimmicks. Focus on the basics and the series will rise back into a state of glory.
i coulndt agree any more
ReplyDeleteever since 3D came for sonic the interest has lowered it seems.
and the 2D was great fun, i must have played the genesis second, 3rd and 4th(sonic and knuckles) installments like dozens of times.
however i notice, very sadly, it all has been weakend down to look a LOT more like mario!
why do they all have girlfriends nowadays? or evil counterparts?
KISS: KEEP IT SHORT AND SIMPLE ^^
sonic: main char, tails: his friend that flies(and can lift him up for a while), and sure knuckles: who can float... and as evildo-er: Dr. Robotnik, and a robotsonic (which gets destroyed every game :p
i prefer Dr Robotnik to eggman => it sounds so weird, i don't know why they changed it in the first place... he builds robots out of animals, which sonic frees again... so that makes sense in what he does. Yes he looks a bit like an egg in shape... still that for humoristic purposes :D