Monday, August 17, 2009

Spider-Man Back In Parade

Spidey Parade

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.9210.Spidey_Returns_to_Thanksgiving_Day_Parade

Earlier today Marvel gleefully announced Spider-Man's return to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  After an 11 year hiatus, the Spidey balloon is finally back in the line-up.  I willing admit this news makes me smile.  It will be nice to have Spider-Man flying high again, thought I couldn't help but notice Marvel.com's article left out something.  The article discusses the previous use of the Spidey balloon but fails to mention two of Marvel's most ambitious parade endeavors.

I speak of course of the 1987 and 1989 Parade floats.  Two lovely experiments I previously reviewed on this blog.  If you read those reviews then you know I think not highly of the floats.  I ripped into them pretty hard and while I may have went a bit over the top, my general disapproval is sincere.  The parade floats looked good on paper but the execution was poor; and as much as I fault Marvel for allowing them to happen I give them some credit for only doing it twice.

I guess the lesson here is that when it comes to Marvel characters and parades, giant balloons are the way to go.  Anything else is bound to end up like this:





No comments:

Post a Comment