Thursday, September 17, 2009

Movies You Should Watch: Mutant Chronicles


Let's face it, not everyone has the time to read a drawn out movie review, especially of a mainstream movie that they already know from other sources whether it's good or not.  Therefore, I've come up with this new post concept, "Movies You Should Watch", in which I'll highlight a movie which I feel has fallen under the radar, or deserves more recognition.  The first movie I have chosen is the recently released Mutant Chronicles, so hit the break for my spoiler free rundown of it.



Mutant Chronicles is set in an alternate universe in which a mysterious machine landed on earth in the distant past.  Because of the machine's ability to turn regular humans into super-powerful monsters, it was sealed underground by a religious order and over the centuries forgotten about.  Flash forward to the future where four corporations wage constant war on the planet for dominance, and for some reason humanity has developed steam based technology rather than electronic.  A battle between two opposing corporations accidentally unleashes the long dormant monsters upon the earth, which quickly begin turning the human population into mutants using the machine.  It's then up to the leader of the religious order which originally sealed away the machine (Ron Perlman) to put together a team to destroy the machine once and for all.

If the above summary didn't already whet your appetite for this movie allow me to drop some bullet points on you to seal the deal:

  • Steampunk.  There are airships that fly using coal engines.  How bad ass is that?

  • Ron Perlman, and John Malkovich are in it.  Sure, Malkovich doesn't have a lot of screen time, but he's still a welcome addition, and any movie that has Ron Perlman in it is a movie I want to see.

  • The action pretty much never lets up from start to finish.

  • Who doesn't love a good dystopian future?


So for the above reasons I want you to go watch this movie right now, and tell me in the comments what you think.  I guarantee satisfaction unless you're some horrible mutant yourself with no imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment