Saturday, April 3, 2010

Stark Expo Makes Me Doubt That Life Has Value


Well, it does. Want to know why?

Then read after the break, natch.



Okay, so for those of you who are unaware, Stark Expo appears to be the beginning of a viral campaign for Iron Man II, or, as I like to call it - AC/DC: The Movie! (Featuring Iron Man). You get the idea - it's Stark Industries meets world fair.

I will begin with the observation that the video, which can be seen here, which introduces us to the notion of stark expo, looks creepily like a similar video made by a company which recently purchased Marvel, and, by proxy, Marvel Studios.

It's a long video, I understand if you don't watch the entire thing - but EPCOT (the Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow) was set up to be a large world fair; according to Walt Disney himself, an "experimental prototype community that will always be in a state of becoming." Now, I could liken that to Neitzsche, but before one can make a joke about fascism and the eery war-like planning going on in his little Florida panic room, Walt continues - "It will never cease to be a living blueprint of the future, where people actually live a life they can't find anywhere else in the world."

Look at the Expo grounds on the viral site and you'll see a stunning similarity between the two - "Spaceship Earth" could almost be mistaken as similar to that globe - the circular pathways, the theme, all fit together. And, tickets will be available soon to Stark Expo!

Now, it is crucial to note in this context that I do not believe that Disney World will turn itself into an amusement park to celebrate Tony Stark in May. That company is too evil and brooding and, let's face it, uncool to bother. Whenever I imagine the relationship Marvel has with Disney I picture Mickey Mouse slapping Joe Quesada around a little, then telling him he only does it because he loves him. I do, however, feel that this is just the beginning of a long and tenuous era for Marvel fans, in which we will be forced to endure what I will call a "Disnification" of our favorite heroes. Not necessarily brainwashing, but right on that cusp between outright fucking with our minds and making us wander.

Of course, the first Iron Man movie clip, happens to take place in this Experimental World Faire of Tommorow Today featuring Tony Stark. This clip is exclusively available here, of course.

I'm going to go drink whiskey.

No comments:

Post a Comment