There are a lot of wrestling games for portable consoles. The bulk of them are awful. WWE Survivor Series is one such awful game. When I bought it I sort of knew it would suck. But I wanted a portable wrestling game and figured Survivor Series would be as good as any.What Kills The Game
This game is all about repetition. It starts with the entrances. Every wrestlers enters the exact same way. Yes their entrance themes are different, but the walking animation is identical for every single wrestler.
I find this unforgivable. Entrances are big part of pro wrestling, they help define wrestlers' personalities. If the development team couldn't make different entrances then they should of just scrapped them all together. Did they really think I would enjoy watching the same animation OVER and OVER and OVER again. After a couple playing sessions, I took to just skipping the entrances. Why should I waste my time?
The repetition carries over to the moves. It's sort of unfair for me to fault the game for having a small number of moves. I know that spatial limitations prevent this game from having anywhere near the number of moves on a home console game. But still, there are ways to make less seem like more. This game fails at that. Everybody handles the same. I feel like choosing wrestler is really just an exercise in pallet swapping. Should I pick Shawn Michael or Kane? Answer: It doesn't freaking matter; everybody plays the same. What in the hell is the point of choosing?
Why I Love It
I'm a sucker for midi music. I adore crude instrumental versions of songs I am familiar with. I am also a lover of professional wrestling entrance themes. This game combines those two passions so naturally I latch onto that.
I must admit it's a tad hypocritical of me to praise the entrance music after bashing the entrance movements. But honestly I see them as separate entities. So much so that I went out of my way to rip the songs from the game so I could have them on my computer.
When music is the only saving grace for a wrestling game, then something is wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment