The 7-10-10 edition of Good Morning America featured several segments covering Spider-Man The Musical. This was a noteworthy event if only for the sheer lack of material that been released on the musical. It feels like the production has been in development since the dawn of time yet Marvel had little to show. For the longest time, the only content on the official website was a couple minute long interviews and 30 second music loop. Thankfully, the GMA feature gave us some long overdue insight into what the musical has to offer.
Julie Taymor was in studio and Bono and The Edge joined live via Satellite. The three shared some nice details about the project and Julie showed some concept pieces.
First up were two images of sets. Julie stated the goal was to design "pop-up sets" as can be seen in the images below.
Next Julie showed some Villain costume. The image below features the iconic Green Goblin (left) and the newly developed Swiss Miss (right). I must say that these costumes look a lot more at home in Power Rangers. With all those green spikes, Goblin kind of looks like a plant man.
Personally, I find the costumes to be rather wonky but I guess the true test will come during the show when the costumes are in motion.The main event of the coverage came in a live performance of a song. Entitled "Boy Falls From The Sky", the piece has a very distinctive U2 feel.
Overall, thinks are looking pretty good for the production. With all the money that has been invested this news to be a not just a hit, but a runaway hit.


[...] I’ve missed several developments as they came about. Sure I hit the biggies like the Good Morning America performance. But generally I’ve neglected the smaller [...]
ReplyDelete