So I recently beat Metal Gear Acid on the PSP. I want to use this post to share some of my thoughts on the game. This is by no means a full review.
Now I went into playing Acid knowing that is a card based strategy game. Having that knowledge I didn’t know if I would be able to get into such a game engine. But surprisingly enough I found the game play to be quite fun.
One element that really irked me though was the waiting. Being a turned based game, you have to wait for each character on the screen to make their move. That isn’t so much of bother when there is only yourself and few soldiers on screen. But when you are in alert mode and 7 soldiers are attacking you at once, it seems like waiting an eternity before you get the chance to make your move. Admittedly the wait factor is not a flaw in the game; rather it is just an aspect of card-based games. But that still doesn’t change the fact it annoys me. I guess it’s because I’m just not a very patient person.
Not being a veteran of card games, I found it tricky to understand how all the cards in the game worked. This was especially challenging when I was trying to figure out how to equip and load weapons. But after playing for while I begin getting more familiar with the whole card system and by the end of the game I found myself really confident in my card skills.
The plot of the game follows the typical Metal Gear formula. It has many hours of cutscenes and dialogue, which tell a rich, intriguing story. As is common with Metal Gear games, this game features several plot twists. The plot twists really hit heavy in the last few minutes of the game. So much was going on that my mind actually started hurting. I’m all for plot twists, but I think this game may have taken it a tad overboard. It is also worth mentioning that the plot has many super-natural elements. I realize that Metal Gear has always been a franchise that meshes a real world feel with the occasional mystical element, but Acid developed a little too much into the supernatural for my taste. But to the game designers credit the story does make sense, it is just really out of the realm of reality at some points.
All and all Metal Gear Acid was a positive gaming experience. I soon plan to pick up a copy of Metal Gear Acid 2 so that I can continue my quest to play/own every Metal Gear related game.
No comments:
Post a Comment