Saturday, August 23, 2008

Is the Friday the 13th Remake Changing Jason Too Much?



I found this picture over at BloodyDisgusting.com and it makes me wonder if the upcoming movie, slated for release on February 13th, 2009,  is changing what Jason is all about just a little too much.



In an interview the actor portraying Jason Voorhees this time around, Derek Mears, has said that his Jason is going to be more intelligent, in that he sets up traps for his victims to fall into, and has a man on a mission attitude.  Apparently the movie is going to try to make Jason a more sympathetic character as well.

It seems from the photo above that Jason does seem to have an uncharacteristic amount of motivation in what he is doing.  His stance suggests that he got a running start on that axe swing.  I don't like the idea of a quick moving Jason, that completely shatters my image of him.  Jason, like Michael Myers, is not simply a serial killer, but a force of nature, the very embodiement of evil.  He doesn't need to run after you because no matter how far you go he's going to get you.  Making him simply a crazy backwoods guy with a vendetta takes so much away the series.

While it this new movie may turn out to be good horror movie in its own right, I don't feel that it will fit it with the series very well.  Yea I know about Jason X, shut the hell up.

No comments:

Post a Comment