Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Multiplayer Achievements on Xbox 360 Suck


I feverishly love getting achievements on my Xbox 360. They give the player goals to reach for in games that otherwise have no clear cut goals. They also give people a reason to replay games and get more out of them then they would have the first play through. I'd like to make one clear distinction though. I love single player achievements. Multiplayer achievements can go to hell.



The picture at the top of this post is an achievement from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on XBLA. More specifically, it's the only achievement in the game that requires multiplayer over Xbox Live and that I have yet to get. Why don't I have it? Because there's never anyone online playing the god damn multiplayer for Sonic the Hedgehog 2!

The multiplayer for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was horribly boring for the Genesis and is just as boring on Xbox Live. If you want to join a multiplayer game you have to either try to join one, or make your own and then sit there watching a screen with your gamer tag on it and an empty spot for another player who will never come. There are just no people at all playing this game on multiplayer making this achievement ridiculously hard to get. However, let's say that you do manage to find someone else and you play a game or two, they'll most likely leave after playing a few rounds once they've met their own quota, because you know that the only reason anyone is playing the multiplayer is to get that achievement.

This is what angers me the most about these online achievements. It gives each player their own personal agenda. Say you're playing a game such as Streets of Rage 2 or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade which require teamwork and halfway through the game one of your teammates just leaves because there was an achievement they needed at a certain part of the game. Well what if you're playing because you need an achievement that requires completion of the game online? Or what if you're playing because you just like the freaking game? Now you're totally screwed because you can't continue on without that person! People online were already Machiavellian enough before achievements came into the picture.

There shouldn't be any achievements that require multiplayer over Xbox Live to get unless of course it's a game that is multiplayer only. I have to applaud Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for having 100% of its achievements being single player. This way the only people playing online are those who enjoy the game and there aren't any people there just to farm achievements with no regard for the other people playing. It is also very frustrating to be playing online and no matter how much you focus on what you're doing, the achievements are still in the back of your mind, which is how I found Team Fortress 2 to be. That sucked, because I loved Team Fortress Classic with a passion and I wanted to love Team Fortress 2 but the achievements kept distracting me until I got fed up with playing (that and I just didn't like 2 as much as 1).

8 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Gears of War and Call of Juarez has alot of frustrating achievements that i don't see myself getting. As games get older, less ppl are online, or the only ppl left are the ppl that insanely good, and its not even really fun. Perfect Dark also has pretty bad ones for some low points, but at least its possible to do them all offline due to bots, thats a bit more respectable. I have completed all of Call of Duty 4, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata since they were all offline. I had completed Bioshock till they added the brass balls achievement which i think really sucks also. Games should always have 1000 points I think, and they shouldn't keep adding achievements. Nothing is worse than thinking you just finally mastered a game and can tuck it away for a while then a random new achievement being released.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked your blog, thanks for sharing this very interesting post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you 100%...I have plenty of games such as Ridge Racer 6, Fable 2, Sega SuperStar Tennis, MK vs DC, etc with I only have the achievement for the single player component. Now you might think that games such as MK vs DC should be easy enough to complete online since it's still new but that's not always the truth.

    1.) My bandwith at home sucks so playing games online does not really work well.
    2.) I don't even have money for Xbox Live Gold...games are already expensive as it is.
    3.) I don't really care about playing games online.
    4.) Jeez...win 100 Ranked matches online in MK to get like a stupid 20 point achievement. What a waste.

    Multiplayer games = multiplayer achievements.
    Singleplayer games = singleplayer achievements.

    How hard can it be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this site that helps with the online one's as other people are looking for them also, some are ok like lose a pro face off (GH A:s) or like win one but gh3 went way to far with thoes ones i think gta4 is bad for there
    Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic
    Win all ranked multiplayer variations, all races and "Cops 'n Crooks", as both sides. 30
    Here is a very helpful chart made by 007craft to keep track of your progress:
    For 30 G Thats so stupid it takes like 40 hrs to get it unless you like to play the game and everyone you playing with is trying to get them

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you 100% on this and as a gamer I think the game companies should stop making the abomination as we all know that are multiplayer achievements and for most of the good games that has them I wouldn't touch at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the information.Exogamer(dot)com offers game products like like xBOX 360 ,1600 microsoft points and many update games at cheaper rate than market.
    It offers auction for the products.I found the concept interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the event that I was required to give a single thing up in life it wouldn't be my personal video game system.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can we all do when not having your games to relax and play this day and age how could many of us get by?

    ReplyDelete