Monday, March 3, 2008

My Thoughts On Blu-Ray Beating Out HD DVD



Chances are if you are one that keeps up on tech news, then you’ve heard about Blu-ray’s victory in the next generation DVD war. After months of bitter battling, Blu-Ray has emerged as the victor, forcing the end of HD DVD production.

Through this whole “war” I myself never picked a side. I honestly didn’t have a preference which format would win. I am just glad that we finally have one format.



When I first discovered that both HD DVD and Blu-Ray formats were being pushed I became a little agitated. To me it just makes no sense to have two competing formats, which really do pretty much the same thing. Sure, for the companies involved it might be beneficial. But when it comes to consumers, such competition is a big time detriment.

Some film studios backed HD DVD while others backed Blu-Ray. That meant if an avid buyer of DVDs (such as myself) wanted to get all the movies they desired, then they would have to invest in both an HD DVD and Blu-Ray player. Having to that is just ridiculous. The players separately are expensive enough, but having to buy both is just obscene.

Now that one universal format is in place, film studios can turn their full attention back towards producing quality content and not waste anymore time bickering on which format should be backed.

No comments:

Post a Comment