Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pre-Con Report: Anime Boston 2008


In just a few days Anime Boston 2008 will be upon us. While I intend to write about it after attending, I wanted to take a moment to talk about last year's con, and what I'm hoping to get out of this year's. This is all, of course, after the break.



As you may know, Anime Boston this year is taking place on the same weekend as a certain holiday that is recognized by a good majority of citizens of the United States. This is main the reason I am only able to attend on Saturday. I've heard that this has also effected the plans of other people who were planning to attend and are unable to now. However, it's not the fault of the convention planners. The holiday is falling very early this year, and the Hynes Convention Center requires booking far in advance, so I'm sure that the convention planners would have chosen any other weekend if it was available or if they had known in advance.

Last year I forgot to bring my digital camera and as a result had to wind up using some disposable one I bought in the mall attached to the convention center for $15. I got the camera developed a few weeks ago and the pictures I got were insanely shitty. The color was distorted, the exposures were dark, etc. The good people at CVS noticed this and I only wound up paying for about four out of the ten pictures I had developed. I really wanted some of the pictures to, like one of Bonta-kun from Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. Way to learn a lesson the hard way. Learn from my mistakes convention goers, bring a good camera!

Bring plenty of cash too if you're planning on buying from the dealer's room! ATMs in the convention center are few and far between, and the ones that are there may not be your bank's. It's never a good feeling to be in a room full of amazing treasures and know you only have a pittance to spend. You think that Asuka figurine is going to wait for you to go to an ATM and come back? She's a filthy whore who will go with the first person with cash, make sure it's YOU!

Although I'm probably not going to be there very long since I'm only going for one day, but I foresee a problem with having the gaming room be one big amalgamation of video games, and board games. No one is going to want to play Catan while some jerk off nearby playing Halo 3 is screaming about whatever the hell Halo losers yell about. This would be akin to having a chainsaw stump carving contest in a library. But who knows, maybe the convention planners have noise canceling buffers or something set up.

I'm looking very forward to this Saturday and to spending way too much money on manga, figurines, and doujinshi. There'll probably be a lot of good cosplay too which is always a plus. Expect a full report of my exploits in the coming days.

The full con report is now up with my thoughts and cosplay pictures.  -VaultDweller13

No comments:

Post a Comment