As the release date of Metal Gear Solid 4 draws closer and closer, MGS fans looking to pass the time might want to check out the recently released “Metal Gear Solid Essentials Collection”. The collection contains the first 3 MGS games and sells at the value price of $30. The set is phenomenal, thought it does have a few flaws.
When I purchased the set at Gamestop the man behind the counter was quick to inform me that the Metal Gear Solid 1 that is featured in this set is the Playstation 1 version. I was rather surprised to hear that as I though the set would contain a PS2 format version of the game. I wasn’t expecting any graphic or game play changes, I just thought that the game be brought to PS2 format so as to make the whole set appeal more to PS2 owners. Since original Playstation games are compatible with all PS2s, the only real drawback to keeping the game in its PS1 format is that an original Playstation memory card is necessary if players wish to save.
For me the highlight of this set would be its version on MGS2. The version featured in this set is the Substance version. I had bought the original Sons of Library when it first came out and have long wanted to get the Substance version of the game. For those of you are unaware, the Substance version of MGS2 contains the main Sons of Liberty game as well as slew of bonus features.
The version of MGS3 that is featured in this set is the Subsistence version. When Subsistence was released it contained two discs. Aside from the main Snake Eater game Subsistence also featured several bonus features including a Snake vs. Monkey mini-game, a theater mode with game cutsecenes and ports of the first two Metal Gear games. Unfortunately the Essentials Collection only contains the first disc of Subsistence, which means most of the special features are absent. If the second disc were to be included then that would mean that set would also feature Metal Gear 1 and 2, thus really making the set even more comprehensive.
All and all the “Essentials Collection” is a fantastic compilation. If you are an MGS fan and that has yet to purchase one or more of the previous games then I strongly suggest you put out the $30 for this set. Don’t let the few flaws I pointed out above detract you from buying it. To all the heavy duty naysayers that may bash this set for its few lacking areas, I would counter by saying that Konami is doing the fans a service by offering such a comprehensive set at such a bargain price. For $30 it’s truly a worthwhile investment.
No comments:
Post a Comment