Friday, March 7, 2008


Today, those who registered their phone number with ibelieveinharveydent.com recieved a call from the man himself.

"I am ready to fight for Gotham if you are ready to fight for it too" he said, imploring the masses to visit the aforementioned site.

Am I ready to fight for Gotham? No! Why? Read on after the break!



Upon entering the site, which was finally updated, one will notice a few things. First of all, when Harvey Dent says he's ready to fight for Gotham if we are, he wants visual proof. Apparently, the first stage in the new Dark Knight Viral game will consist of getting all hopped up on Mountain Dew and starting a Ron-Paulesque grassroots political movement for Harvey Dent. Suggestions provided by the website include, but are not limited to, "get your friends together and spell out Harvey Dent in human letters," "write a Take Back Gotham song," and "arrange a Dent parade down Main Street."

Remind you a little of Rory's Death Kiss? That would be because it's the same premise, different character in the Batman mythos.

Am I tricked by it? No. Will I, in all likelihood, attempt to participate?

*sigh*

There does seem to be a new feature. There will be a "Dentmobile" visiting various cities across the country. Apparently, those who constructed the campaign failed to realize that Harvey Dent probably wouldn't want to stir up support for a run as Gotham City's D.A. in a place like Boulder, Colorado or East Lansing, Michigan. More likely, however, they did realize, but they didn't care.

They don't care because the Dark Knight Viral Campaign is a new breed of viral campaign. They're trying to get the viral campaign out into the streets, turning fans into free advertisement - that's what Rory's Death Kiss was about, and that's why they're doing this. The more people they get outside with signs that say "I Believe in Harvey Dent," the more money they make, and the more time we waste doing things for which there is no reward, no saving grace, and no redemptive qualities whatsoever.

But I'm not falling for it. And you shouldn't either.

It's time to take back Gotham, alright. Time to take it back from this silly, silly viral campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment