Since his creation, Batman has appeared in many mediums. Books, television, radio, film, just about every entertainment form has featured The Dark Knight. And while many fans might not know it, Batman was even geared up to be in a musical production.
Recently I had the pleasure of interviewing a man who knows much about the Batman Musical project. He is in fact the Webmaster of a site dedicated to the project and it is at his site that learned most of what I now know about the project. He goes by the name AVD and his site is Dark Knight of The Soul.
The interview was conducted via e-mail with me sending him the questions and him sending back his answers. I hope you enjoy, as do I, his insights into Batman The Musical:
Waufreak89: When did you first learn about Batman The Musical?
AVD: I've been a fan of "Batman" and "Bat out of Hell" since as long as I remember. I heard about the project in 1999 when it was announced. I was thrilled, I thought it was the most amazingly unlikely idea and, done right, would surpass "The Phantom of the Opera". Don't you think "Batman" would make the ultimate gothic musical?
Waufreak89: When did you decide to start Dark Knight Of The Soul?
AVD: I always supported the idea of a "Batman" musical because the Burton movies sang to me. For example, I think "Batman Returns" would make a brilliant opera. Then I was passed a recording of a Jim Steinman concert in New York called "Over the Top". The encore was the world premiere of Batman and Catwoman's love duet "Not Allowed to Love". It was the most beautiful song I ever heard and I'm a big fan of Rodgers & Hammerstein, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Stephen Sondheim etc. The website was born. Jim released the demos and the rest is history.
Waufreak89: From information I gathered on your site, it seems Batman The Musical would have taken many liberties with the mainstream Batman cannon. Do you think purist fans would have been upset by the fact Joker killed Bruce Wayne's parents and a young Selina Kyle just happened to witness it all?
AVD: It's all in the telling. The purist fans loved "Batman Begins" and, last night, I saw the premiere of "The Dark Knight". There were just as many changes, to me, that were in Burton's films and the musical. It really doesn't matter as long as you tell a story well.
Waufreak89: Jim Steinman's songs for the musical are absolutely fantastic. What are your overall feelings of Jim's music?
AVD: "Batman" and Jim's music are very special to me. I think I have a biased opinion in that regard (!) I was blown away by the music. I thought it was the closest you get to heaven but I wasn't sure if they were moving the narrative or operating as character studies. Jim is one of the greatest songwriters ALIVE but he needed a visionary like Burton to collaborate with.
Waufreak89: Do you think Jim managed to accurately capture of the essence of Batman in the songs?
AVD: The Gotham citizens are the most frightened and frightening ensemble I've heard since "Sweeney Todd". Batman, The Joker and Catwoman are all precisely done, just as I imagined. It's true to the Burton films and the original emotion from the 1930s. That's what I wanted.
Waufreak89: In The Land Of The Pig, The Butcher Is King is my personal favorite of the songs; do you have a favorite of the bunch?
AVD: They're all special to me. If I had to choose, it would be "Gotham City" which could start global-freezing!
Waufreak89: Under the tribute section of your website you have an phenomenal fan-made song entitled I'll Decorate The City In Ribbons of Blood. What did you first think when you listened to that stunning song?
AVD: David (Scaramouch) is a genius and a true Steinman fan. We both contributed to the Steinman tribute album and the first song I heard (of his) was "More Nocturnal Pleasures". It was the most amazing song. I always knew he was developing this, which is based on an unproduced Steinman song, but I was stunned. The first image I had was Heath Ledger as The Joker. I could see him, or someone like him, performing it and, of course, I've played it ever since. Non-stop. He's a fantastic musician who loves Queen (I love Queen and "A Night at the Opera") and Steinman and I'm cheering for his success.
Waufreak89: Do you think there is still any hope that Batman The Musical will ever be produced?
AVD: Actually, I was told the other day that plans for The Musical stemmed back to the 70s (no Steinman involvement.) The Broadway musical "Grand Hotel" was in development for 30 years and Jim has been working on a rock version of "Neverland" for 40 years. Never say never. I still believe that Burton isn't done with the franchise and Steinman and Elfman are the only people, I think, who could write it. The reason the website stands is because Warner Bros. should reconsider the project. I think it would have one of the biggest advances in Broadway history. The movies broke records at the box office and it's a wonderful tale on the lines of "Sweeney Todd" and "The Phantom of the Opera".
iaLAY8 doors3.txt;25;55
ReplyDelete