Sunday, July 6, 2008

So How Exactly Does Spider-Man Arrive In The Speed of Time?



Living on the edge fighting crime spinning webs
Swinging from the highest ledge
He can leap above our heads
Ahhhaaahhhaaah
Ahhhhaaahhhaaahaaahhah
Villains on the rise and the city's victimized
Looking up with no surprise arriving in the speed of time
Ahhhaaahhhaaah
Ahhhhaaahhhaaahaaahhah
Spectacular Spectacular Spiderman
Spectacular Spectacular Spiderman
Spectacularrrrrrrrrrr
Spectacular Spectacular Spider-Man
Spectacular Spectacular Spider-Man

Those are the lyrics to The Spectacular Spider-Man, an ongoing animated TV series that just recently finished up its first season. Now I love the show. It's a nice, fresh, and innovative take on our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. I like the animation, the character designs, the voice acting, and even the opening theme. The theme is sure catchy but there are parts of it that just kind of boggle my mind.

The focal point of my confusion stems from the line "arriving in the speed of time" Every time I hear it my brain goes “a what?”

Granted I’m no super genius, but I like to think I have a pretty strong basic understanding of speed and time. I know that speed is the rate at which something travels and time is the intangible means by which we relate to and chronicle events in realty. Taking it a step further, I realize that time, being a thing, does have a speed to it.

But with all that figured out I now hit a brick wall when trying to comprehend how a person can arrive in the speed of time. I guess to do so he would have to be moving at the speed of time. Is that even possible? If is an intangible means by which we measure events then that means that it’s speed is that of the forces that shape reality. So is the song implying that Spidey as the ability to move as fast as the forces that comprise reality?

I’m familiar with the expression “arriving in the nick of time” but that is different then the phrase being analyzed here. The nick of time expression refers to arriving just in time, right at the last moment. An example being pushing a person out of the street just before a bus hits them.

However in the case of the song Spidey arrives in the speed of time, so thus he arrives at a location at the exact point which time arrives at the location. But how is that so? How does one catch up with the speed of time? Presumably time has been moving since the beginning of existence and by this point in history has gained a substantial amount of momentum. How can Spider-Man possibly garner enough momentum to catch time? Of course there is the possibility that Spider-Man starting moving at the same moment that time starting moving and therefore has been able to keep it with it. But for that theory to work Spider-Man would have had to be alive at the being of existence which I’m fairly sure is impossible because Peter Park didn’t even become Spider-Man until he was a teenager sometime in the 20th century.

Perhaps I’m just overanalyzing this. Hell I know I’m overanalyzing. The show is great and all but maybe for next season they could tweak the lyrics a little to remove the lines that make my head hurt.

2 comments:

  1. I would say everything arrives or leaves or just about anything in the speed of time, since we all are bound by time moving forward at the about the same rate. If he was moving near the speed of light or in some intense gravity like a black hole then that might change things. Spidey's powers don't allow those happening. So saying that he arrives so is kind of pointless but it doesn't seem incorrect and fits in the song. I have been thinking about that line all this first season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have had that theme song stuck in my head all friggin day. why? because it is catchy and i love it. didnt happen to notice the speed of time thing you seem to be hung up on. and now that i know about it i still love the song and the show. nick of time speed of time sphincter of time who cares. i have heard worse ... like the theme song to the bionic six(god awful) lyrically corect but still god awful.

    ReplyDelete