While it would be inaccurate to call me a hardcore X-Files fan, I can say that I enjoy the series and watched it quite often during it's original run. When I first heard that a new X-Files movie was on it's way I was pleased because I always enjoy seeing popular series get another installment after a hiatus. The series has been away just long enough to generate a call for a return and I Want To Believe is a well-crafted and satisfying return for the series.
I was so glad to see both Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny reprising their iconic roles. If one of them had opted not to return then the movie wouldn't have really worked at all. Truly the movie is all about the relationship between Mulder and Scully, it is the main force that drives the plot along.
Before going to see the movie, the vibe that I got by reading online was that the movie would be very much stand alone and would not delve to deeply into the mythos of series. However to my surprise the movie does in fact explore many aspects of the series mythos. There are many moments in the film that are direct references to the series, some of which I (due to my non-hardcore following on the series) did not catch but was aware of due to the audience reactions.
Yet even with all the nods to series the movie's story is structured in such a fashion that it can appeal to even those who know nothing at all about the X-Files. The plot follows a familiar X-Files formula. It is a mystery that gets progressively more complex as Mulder and Scully dive deeper into it. Moments of suspense and intensity are interspaced with welcomed bits of humor. Many varying tones are juggled successfully allowing for a rich and captivating story.
Final Verdict:
I Want To Believe is an exceptional treat for fans and a nicely done film for all. It's a great story that has a meaningful theme of hope running through-out it. I encourage you to support the movie so that we can perhaps see some more X-Files movies in the future.
base1.txt;42;42
ReplyDelete